The SSN is the same public health care coverage available to Italians.
Please note that SSN health care coverage is valid only during a given calendar year, and must be renewed each January 1st.
Depending on when during the year you are seeking to obtain coverage, you may want to wait to purchase SSN coverage at the start of the next calendar year, and select another health insurance option in the interim.
Applying to the SSN:
- Apply to the SSN at any Post Office upon arrival in Milan
- At the Post Office, fill out a blank payment form with the following information: c/c postale n.: 379222, intestato a: Amministrazione P.T. Regione Lombardia, causale: iscrizione volontaria S.s.n, Euro: € 149.77
- Save your payment receipt to complete registration for the SSN
- After you have submitted this application, go to an office of the local health authority (“Azienda Sanitaria Locale” or “ASL”) to complete registration with the SSN. Please see www.salute.gov.it for the address of the ASL nearest you
- Choice of a general practitioner, who can see you free of charge, prescribe medicine and laboratory tests, and provide specialist referrals
- Free admission to public or certified private hospitals
- Free access to emergency care